Q: Should I submit an Academic Year or Summer application?
A: If your stay begins in the summer and extends through September, or if your stay begins in the Spring and extends into May, please complete an Academic Year application. If your stay is ONLY through May-August, and does not extend into September, please complete a Summer term application.
Q: I want to live at I-House all summer and next year. I notice the summer ends on August 15 and the academic year begins on September 1. Do I have to move out for those two weeks?
A: If you are staying all summer and into the following academic year you do not need to move out between August 15 and September 1. Later in the summer we will fill in the gap and your fall semester charges will begin on August 15.
Q: Do I have to move out during winter break if my Resident Membership Agreement extends through the spring?
A: No, you do not have to move out during winter break.
Q: I am scheduled to start my program/internship in New York, but I have not received the formal letter from my school or organization. Can I still complete my application for review?
A: The proof of eligibility is important for your application, and your application will not be considered complete without official documentation. The letter should be within 6 months of submission and indicate your full name and the term or dates of your program/internship.

Length of Stay

Q: I want to live at I-House, but I cannot stay for the full term. Am I able to stay for less than the duration of the Academic Year/Summer term?
A: Yes! Our room rates are prorated, so residents can check in or out when is necessary for their schedule. 
Q: What is your shortest length of stay?
A: Residents must stay at International House for a minimum of 30 days. 


Extension & Readmission

Q: Are summer extension and readmission the same?
A: No, they are not. If you wish to stay for any part of the summer and for the upcoming academic year you must complete both the summer extension process and the readmission application.
Q: I missed the summer extension deadline. Can I still extend?
A: You can request an extension anytime and we will do our best to honor the request.
Q: I missed the readmission deadline. What happens now?
A: You can still apply for readmission but your room may no longer be available and, depending on when you do apply, availability of rooms may be limited.
Q: I want to leave at the end of the Academic Year and come back during the Summer term to stay for the Academic Year. How do I inform you of that?
A: When completing the readmission application please indicate your return date. We will then set that date as your return date.
Q: If my plans change and I need to cancel my readmission application when I do I have to tell the Admissions Office to avoid a penalty?
A: After your readmission application is approved you will be asked to pay a $600 room reservation payment which will be refundable until August 1. If you cancel before August 1 you will receive a refund of the room reservation payment. If you cancel after August 1 you will forfeit the full $600 room reservation payment.
Q: I do not know if I will be in the New York for the upcoming Academic Year but if I am I definitely want to stay at I-House. What should I do?
A: You should submit a readmission application for the academic year before the March 15 deadline. By submitting the application we will hold a room for you and you have until mid-July to complete your application and August 1 to fully commit.

Summer Term

Q: I want to live at I-House all summer and next year. I notice the summer ends on August 15 and the academic year begins on September 1. Do I have to move out for those two weeks?
A: If you are staying all summer and into the following academic year you do not need to move out between August 15 and September 1. Later in the summer we will fill in the gap and your fall semester charges will begin on August 15.
Q: Can I leave for a short time in the summer without paying for my room while I am gone?
A: To avoid paying for your room while you are gone you must be gone a minimum of 40 days. During the period you are gone you need to completely remove all of your belongings and make the room available to someone else to stay there while you are gone. You may return to your room upon your return after 40 days.

Room Changes

Q: How do I submit a room change request?
A: To submit a room change request for the Academic Year, please visit the Admissions Office and complete a Room Change Request Form. You will then be placed on a waitlist and notified if your desired room type becomes available during your stay.
Q: I want to have a different room next year, how do I select one?
A: When completing the readmission application skip the section that re-reserves your current room. On March 17 you will then be able to select your room from available rooms for the academic year.
Q: I have chosen a new room for next year. When will I move?
A: If you are staying all summer and have chosen a new room for the academic year you can move into your new room as soon as it is available. Please contact the Admissions Office after April 1 to schedule your room change.
Q: Can I change rooms for the summer? What about the waiting list for a room in North that I have been on?
A: We do not allow for room changes during the Summer term. 
Amenities & Facilities


Q: What are the hours for the amenities at I-House?
A: The Main Lounge, HR Commons, the Map Lounge, the Dodge Room, the Frohlich Gymnasium, the Game Room and the Study Center are all open 24 hours, 7 days a week. The Dining Hall is open Monday-Friday for breakfast from 7:30-11:30am, lunch from 11:30am-2:00pm, and dinner from 6-9pm. On Saturdays, the Dining Hall is open for brunch from 9am-2pm. The Pub is open every Wednesday-Friday evening from 9pm-1am. 


Q: How does the meal plan work at I-House?
A: There is a $5.75 per-day charge required for all residents, regardless of length of stay. That charge is then given back in the form of a dining credit on the resident’s ID, available for use as the resident wishes in the dining hall.
Q: Can I add more dining credit to my ID card?
A: Residents can always add more dining credit to their ID card at the Bursar Office.
Q: How is the food priced?
A: Prepared meals that rotate every meal are available for purchase by weight. Other options, like prepared sandwiches and grill options have set prices. A standard breakfast will cost approximately $3-$6; a typical lunch averages around $7-$10; an average dinner can cost anywhere from $9-$12.
Q: So will $5.75/day get me three meals in the dining hall? 
A: No. The $5.75/day charge will typically last a resident throughout about half of their stay if they are eating two meals a day in the dining hall. This policy comes with the understanding that most residents will eat many of their meals outside of International House. 
Q: Are there vegetarian options? Halal? 
A: Yes! There is a vegetarian option with every meal, in addition to a full salad bar every lunch and dinner. We offer Halal options as well. 
Q: What are the hours for the Dining Hall?
A: The Dining Hall is open Monday-Friday for breakfast from 7:30-11:30am, lunch from 11:30am-2:00pm, and dinner from 6:00-9:00pm. On Saturdays, the Dining Hall is open for brunch from 9:00am-2:00pm.
Q: What are the hours for the Pub?
A: The Pub is open every Wednesday-Friday evening from 9pm-1am. 


Q: How much does laundry cost at I-House?
A: A small load of laundry costs $2.75, while using a large machine costs $3.75/load..
Q: How is laundry set up at I-House? 
A: Both I-House South and North have their own laundry rooms with washers and dryers. International House provides many machines for our Residents. 


Q: What are the mail room hours?
A: The mail room is open from Monday through Friday from 10am-9pm, and Saturdays from 9am-5pm. 
Q: Can I send myself a package for it to arrive before I’ve checked into I-House?
A: To send yourself a package to pick up upon arrival, residents must have paid their room reservation deposit and check in within one-week of delivery. We do not allow residents to send themselves packages greater than a week before move in. 


Q: Is there storage available?
A: Storage spaces are available for rent for any I-House residents that will be returning after a brief period away from the House. To request a storage space, please visit the Claremont desk.
Q: I am moving into the House at the beginning of the Academic Year, but I am arriving in New York in the summer with different accommodations. Can I store my items in the beginning of the summer?
A: No. Prospective residents are not able to store their items prior to check-in. 
Arrival & Departure


Q: When can I check in after arriving in New York?
A: Check-in for new arrivals is Monday-Friday between 2:00pm-7:00pm, or Saturday between 9:00am-3:00pm with the Bursar. If you are anticipating arriving after business hours, the Claremont Avenue desk is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and will provide you with a temporary ID that is valid for 3 days until you are able to formally complete check-in with the Bursar. 
Q: What is the check-in process like upon arrival to I-House?
A: See the Accepted Applicants page here for more information regarding our arrival procedure
Q: Can I bring a guest to help me move in?
A: Yes, you can bring a guest to help you move in. 


Q: When do I have to check-out of International House?
A: You are expected to have your room vacated by 11:00am on your chosen departure date. 
Q: What is the check-out process like?
A: When your departure date nears, you will receive an email from the Admissions Office detailing the check-out procedure. 
Bursar & Payment
Q: How do I pay for my rent?
A: Upon arrival, residents will visit the Bursar Office to pay for their rent, dining fees, and any other additional fees for the length of their stay.
Q: What payment types are accepted?
A: The Bursar Office accepts payment via Visa and MasterCard only.
Q: Will I be expected to pay for my rent in full upon arrival?
A: Yes. Upon check-in, residents will pay their full semesters’ rent. We do not offer monthly payment plans. 
Q: When is the Bursar Office open?
A: The Bursar Office is open Mondays through Fridays from 9am-7pm, and Saturdays from 9am-3pm.
Q: Is there a policy requiring residents to be vaccinated for Covid-19?
A: Yes. We are striving for a 100% fully vaccinated community in order to be able to offer as many in-person programs and opportunities to build community as possible. All Residents, staff and guests will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide verification. Exceptions for medical and religious reasons will be considered. If you are not able to be fully vaccinated prior to arrival, we will assist you to get the vaccine within 72 hours of your arrival.

Q: Do all incoming residents need to be tested prior to or upon arrival?
A: All incoming residents are encouraged to get a Covid test prior arrival but it is not required at this time.

Q: What is I-House doing to maintain the facility in light of COVID-19?
A: International House is working tirelessly to stay up to date on public health data and best practices to ensure the health and safety needs of the members of our community. Along with specific protocols for quarantine and guidelines to follow if you have symptoms, the Global Health and Wellness Services is available during your stay to provide support during this difficult transition. Our routine COVID-19 precautions include temperature check upon entry, mandatory masks in public spaces, social distancing (6 feel or 2 meters), frequent handwashing, two people per elevator policy, and sanitizing stations. Sanitizing of common areas occur at least twice a day, and access to cleaning supplies in these areas are provided. Currently, we are working on equipping all high-risk areas with air filtration systems.
Financial Aid & Fellowship Opportunities
Q: Is there financial aid for the 2022-23 academic year?
A: Yes. Please visit the Financial Aid page for further information.
Q: Is there financial aid during the summer?
A: No, International House does not offer financial aid during the Summer term. 
Q: When should I submit my financial aid application?
A: We ask that you do not submit a financial aid application until your Academic Year application has been submitted and you have received confirmed that it is complete. 
Q: Are there fellowships being offered for the 2022-23 academic year?
A: Yes, fellowships are available for returning residents. Please visit the Fellowship opportunities page for further information.
I-House South & North Buildings


Q: Does International House provide cleaning services for private rooms?
A: Cleaning services provided by our Housekeeping team are available for a fee. 
Q: Is there central air conditioning in the rooms?
A: No, the House does not have central AC. In-window air conditioning units are available to rent from International House for the duration of your stay. 
Q: Should I bring blankets or towels when I move in? What will be provided?
A: A bed, desk, chair, dresser, bookcase, lamp, ceiling fan, linens, blanket, pillow and towel are provided in room upon check in.
Q: How large are the beds in South? North?
A: The South building has twin XL beds, while the North building has full size beds. 


Q: How many people share the bathrooms on each floor in the South Building?
A: Bathroom facilities are shared by 15-20 people on the same floor. Each bathroom has 3-4 toilets and 3-4 shower stalls.


Q: What is the average noise level on floors? Are there quiet hours?
A: Noise that disturbs others is prohibited at all times. Quiet hours are between 11:00pm and 9:00am on all floors. 

Get in Touch

The Admissions Office reviews applications for Residency at International House, makes room assignments, administers the financial aid programs, and verifies eligibility of every Resident each term.

Megan Amouzou

Vice President of Admissions

(212) 316-8436

Khaire Vaughan

Sr. Admissions Associate for Planning & Occupancy

(212) 316-8436

Roxanni Acevedo

Admissions Associate

(212) 316-8436

Anna Giordano

Admissions Associate for Recruitment

(212) 316-8436

© Copyright. All rights reserved. International House.